Friday, May 28, 2010

New kid on the block

Jamani, jamani!

I couldn't just keep to myself what I came across just a few minutes ago. And I believe there are a number of poetry fanatics visiting Vijana FM who would surely appreciate this post.

Name: Maya Wegerif _____________________________________Location: Dar

I'll be honest with you guys first: Poetry is not my thing (yes, I said it... I know it's controversial in some quarters and all that). But I do tend to enjoy reading excellent poems once in a while that keep me going. In case you missed it, the most important words in the previous sentence are 'excellent' and 'poems'!

So, while I am chillin here waiting for The Trail of Bahati's Shadows (I know, it's taking like forever!), I am certainly enjoying Maya's poems. There is something about the kid.

I am that girl that runs barefoot on the heels of her happily-ever-after
I’m going to be that person that dares to claim the sky with my laughter

I will refuse to be called mistress because I don’t have a master

and f**% it I’ll curse if that gets to the point faster...

Visit the following blog to read her poems: http://mayawegerif.blogspot.com . You can also get in touch with her on Twitter.

5 comments:

  1. how old is she?? she looks very young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But you wouldnt say that after reading her poems!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats very true SN..the themes in her poems are very political/ social conscious. I love her writing, very touchy and they have the power to provoke ones thoughts....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maya also presented a powerful poem at TEDxDar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The poem she presented is actually on her blog as well.

    ReplyDelete